They say that when you start your day with positive thoughts, the rest of the day follows through and becomes a breeze. What you eat – or not eat – influences your mood too, whether it’s a fast coffee break or a leisurely lunch. Light meals throughout the day give you enough energy without feeling heavy and sluggish. These five healthy recipes will keep you feeling jolly from a burst of citrusy mandarin oranges to a spicy bite of chili.
When you think of healthy dishes, a salad is always on top of the list. The jolly factor comes in on whatever you mix and top with the greens. This guilt-free Grilled Chicken and Peach Salad combine the texture of string beans, sweet peaches, and juicy chicken breast fillets. The cilantro vinaigrette adds a refreshing taste to this salad.
Grilled Chicken and Peach Salad
2 medium-sized Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
3 tablespoons Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil
1 cup String Beans, blanched and cut into 1-inch pieces.
1 cup Mixed Greens, torn in to large pieces
2 pcs Jolly Peach Halves, drained and sliced
1. Prepare the cilantro vinaigrette. Use half for dressing and the other half as marinade.
2. In a bowl, combine half of the cilantro vinaigrette and chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
3. Pan-fry chicken using Jolly Heart Mare Canola Oil. Let it cool before slicing into strips. Set aside.
4. To serve, divide torn mixed greens and place on individual plates.
5. Reassemble chicken on shredded greens.
6. Arrange blanched string beans and sliced Jolly Peaches on top.
7. Shake reserved cilantro vinaigrette and drizzle some over each serving.
*Mix of 3tbsp chopped cilantro, ¼ cup honey, 2 tbsp Dona Elena Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp Good Life Sesame Oil, ½ tsp ground ginger.
**Mixed greens – mix of romaine lettuce, lettuce, arugula and spinach.
A little bit of carbs won’t hurt as long as you have it in moderation. If you love pasta and need something more filling, try this Fruited Chicken Pasta Salad using shell or elbow macaroni. Mix with sweet grapes, water chestnut and mandarin oranges, this dish is a pick-me-upper, perfect for lunch.
Fruited Chicken Pasta Salad
1 cup Uncooked Shell or Elbow Macaroni, cooked according to packaging instructions
1 ½ cups Chicken Breast, boiled and cut into chunks
1 can (11oz) Jolly Mandarin Orange Segments, drained
1 can Jolly Water Chestnut, drained and sliced
½ cup Celery, sliced
1 cup Seedless Grapes, halved
1 head Lettuce
Dressing: 1/2 cup Jolly Real Mayonnaise, ¼ cup sour cream, salt, pepper and dried oregano
1. In a large mixing bowl combine cooked pasta, chicken, Jolly Mandarin Orange Segments, sliced Jolly
2. Water Chestnut and celery.
3. Pour dressing over chicken mixture. Toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for an hour
4. To serve, line salad plates with leaf lettuce. Divide chicken mixture among plates.
As a side to your mains, the sweetness of Jolly Whole Kernel Corn with the local sili and cider vinegar lends a surprising twist. Prepare this Corn Relish, place in a sealed container, and keep in the fridge.
3 Cups Cider Vinegar
1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tsp Paprika
3 Cans Jolly Whole Corn Kernels, drained
2 Cups Sweet Onions, chopped
2 Cups Red and Green Bell Peppers, chopped
1 Tbsp Siling Labuyo, chopped
1. In a pot, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and paprika. Place over medium heat and let it simmer until sugar is dissolved. Do not stir. Allow to cool to room temperature; set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine Jolly Whole Corn Kernels, onions, bell peppers, and siling labuyo.
3. Add vinegar solution, about 2 cups. Store the rest in an air tight container.
4. Toss and spoon the relish into sterilized jars and seal tightly.
5. To serve, use as relish for breaded fish fillet or have as snack.
1 can (425g) Jolly Garbanzos, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
4 pcs Garlic Cloves, crushed
3 tbsp Dona Elena Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/8 tsp Good Life Sesame Oil
4 tbsp Water
Dash of salt
1 tsp Paprika
4 pcs Rounds of Pita Bread
Vegetable sticks - Carrots, Cucumber, Celery, etc.
1. Combine Jolly Garbanzos, lemon juice, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil and water in a food processor, and blend to a creamy purée.
2. Add more lemon juice, garlic, or salt to taste.
3. Transfer in a bowl.
4. Sprinkle with paprika and serve with pita bread (warmed in a moderate oven for three minutes, and cut into quarters) or vegetable sticks or with chips.
Jolly carries a wide range of canned fruits and vegetables which are staples in every pantry. Jolly Mushrooms is the No. 1 mushroom brand in the country with its consistent quality and variety of cuts – Whole Mushrooms, Piece and Stems, Premium Sliced Mushrooms, and Shiitake Mushrooms. Jolly Cream of Mushroom Soup can be used as pasta sauce or as hearty soup.
There is also Jolly Whole Corn, Jolly Cream Corn, and Jolly Young Corn which locks in the sweetness of high quality corn that Filipinos love.
Opening each Jolly can reveals the choicest vegetables including Jolly Asparagus, Jolly Garbanzos, Jolly Green Peas, Jolly Red Pimiento, Jolly Black Beans, Jolly Straw Mushrooms, Jolly Tomato Paste, and Jolly Water Chestnuts.
Your favorite fruits are available all year round with Jolly Lychees, Jolly Mandarin Oranges, Jolly Peach Halves, Jolly Grass Jelly, Jolly Maraschino Cherries, Jolly Pineapple, and Jolly Fruit Cocktail.