In August, Samsung and Yuchengco Museum launched Culture Connect: Castrillo @ 50, an Instagram contest, which aims to strengthen Filipinos’ patriotism and appreciation for public art.
The Instagram contest commemorates the works of nationalist Filipino sculptor, Eduardo Castrillo, as he celebrates 50 years of being a professional artist. Known as the monument maker, Castrillo created masterpieces such as Binhi ng mga Bayani found at Rizal Park, and People Power located along EDSA, which are vivid reflections of the Philippine history and culture.
Culture Connect: Castrillo @ 50 has run through the entire duration of August, and will be extended until September 30 to accommodate more entries.
Same contest mechanics remain applicable. See them below.
1. Post a photo of any of the select public art monuments on Instagram, and tell us what it means to you as a Filipino. Be as expressive and creative Tag @CastrilloCultureConnect and use the hashtags #SamsungCultureConnect and #Castrillo50. (See list of select monuments here.)
2. Up to three entries per person may be submitted under professional or open category. First-place winners under each category get a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and a Gear VR. Winning contest photos will be featured on the Culture Explorer application.
3. Winning entries will be announced online on October 7, and will be awarded on October 13. Winners are to be contacted regarding the awarding through Instagram.
For more details, visit www.eduardocastrillo.com, and follow @CultureConnectCastrillo50 on Instagram.
LIST OF CASTRILLO MONUMENTS TO BE COVERED IN THE INSTAGRAM CONTEST
1. Raha Sulayman, 1976, Raha Sulayman Park, Malate, Manila
2. The Heritage of Cebu, 2001, Mactan, Cebu (History of Christianity in Asia)
3. The Spirit of Pinaglabanan 1974, (heroes of Phil-Am war commemorating Pinaglabanan), San Juan, 1974 – at Barrio Paraiso, Pinaglabanan, San Juan
4. The Light and Sound Sculptural Tableau on the Martyrdom of Dr. Jose P. Rizal, 1991 , Rizal Shrine, Luneta
5. Rizal, RCBC Plaza
6. Life and Heroism of Gat Andres Bonifacio (Relief) Shrine, Manila
7. Andres Bonifacio, 1987 6.3 meters, Fort Bonifacio Manila
8. Emilio Aguinaldo, Trece Martirez City Hall, along Governor’s Drive, Cavite
9. Emilio Aguinaldo, Bacoor Cavite
10. Binhi ng mga Bayani, environmental relief 1995 in Rizal Park (near the gardens)
11. Bantayog ng Mga Bayani, 1992, Quezon Avenue corner EDSA
12. People Power, 1993, EDSA
13. Spirit of EDSA , RCBC Building, Makati, 2001
14. Youth’s Cry of Defiance, 1966, 5.6 meters, cut and welded steel, Fort Santiago, Manila
15. The Cry of Tondo, 1978, Isla Putting Bato, National Housing Authority Project, Tondo, Manila
16. Paghimudos, Bacolod City
17. Katuparan ng Pangarap ng Lahi, 1989, GSIS Building, Reclamation Area, Roxas Boulevard, Manila
18. Diwa ng Batangueno, Batangas City